How do we work?
Text is judged by consistency and the absence of errors. Let us help you add the finishing touches with proofreading, copy editing, stylistic editing, or developmental editing. If you are just starting out and need support organizing yourself and your ideas to create a roadmap for your book, we recommend a brainstorming session. If you already have a manuscript, the four services we provide correspond to the four phases of editing a manuscript. With developmental editing, we do an overhaul of the entire text. Once the general structure of the manuscript is decided upon, we will re-check the general logical consistency of the paragraphs (copy editing), as well as the consistency of diagrams, graphics, references, and indexes. Finally, proofreading ensures that no errors were missed. With our publishing services, the product can then be made ready for release or turned into a presentation.
To determine which services fit your situation, the first step is to review what you already have:
Step 1: Request
- Send us a message or e-mail with your request for editing.
- Specify the number of pages and format of your project.
- Ideally, attach or link to a sample of your manuscript.
- Let us know in what format you have the original text (e.g., Word, TXT, Google Docs, etc.).
- Add any detailed information about the request.
The second step is an interview with you. Based on our evaluation of the sample text and our chat, we will propose different stages to get your book to the finishing line.
Step 2: Interview
- We will contact you with a date for an initial meeting (text chat) and estimate how much work we estimate the edit will entail.
- In preparation, please provide us with the entire original text as an attachment or link. We will let you know in what format we need the text.
- In the chat, we will clarify our process and answer any questions you may have.
- We will send you a summary of what the work will entail and how long we estimate we need for delivery.
To save time and for you to track our changes, we might propose to convert your document into a different format. For more information about input and output formats, check our publishing project. There, we offer conversions from a variety of formats to LaTeX, Google Docs, or Word, all platforms that support tracking of changes which you can accept or reject.
Depending on the agreed project plan, we will work iteratively through several steps of developmental editing and/or stylistic editing, followed by copy-editing and proofreading (depending on the state of your manuscript). For example, an initial draft of your manuscript might need 2 or 3 iterations through the entire text of your manuscript, followed by a single iteration of copy-editing and followed by proofreading. If you are already sure about the contents and structure of your manuscript and are OK with some errors in the final text, maybe a single round of stylistic editing followed by proofreading might do the trick. We will propose options for the right mixture for your book and include any special requests.
Final Step: Delivery
- We will deliver the final text as specified.
- We offer an online meeting (at no charge) to answer any questions.
- If applicable, we can also provide suggestions for improvements for future editions of the book.
In terms of payment, different services are priced differently. For better flexibility, we offer payment plans per iteration. This way, you are in full control of the costs with minimal risks. Our core concept is to stay in constant contact throughout the project so you are always up to date with the progress.
Interested? Check out which services we provide in detail below.