Publish Books the Agile Way
Streamline your writing process with LaTeX and connect with Readers from Day One. Self-Publish your book on Amazon, Google, and Leanpub. Here you can find all tools you need to publish your book professionally online or in print with LaTeX. Learn to complete your book project in small steps—the Agile Way.
Better Books with LaTeX the Agile Way covers the entire publishing process from your initial concept to marketing your book on Amazon, Google, or Leanpub. The focus of this book is to organize your book’s ideas, chapters, files, images, and formatting, as well as to guide you through the process of uploading your book to a publisher.
The craft of writing and marketing a book has changed significantly over the past ten years. It is no longer enough to just write a good book; you have to write for a specific audience and connect to your readers long before the book hits the shelves. Releasing part of your work early allows you to make adjustments to your book—or even discard your project entirely to invest your time into a better book idea.
Likewise, the process of “getting published” in the book world has been revolutionized. Thanks to companies like Amazon, Google, and Leanpub, you can publish your book on your own. Better Books with LaTeX the Agile Way can help you to overcome obstacles along the way, using the most powerful typesetting software available (LaTeX and Overleaf).
Using modern project management methods, you can organize your work into individual “user stories” and reuse them to market your book, for example with blog posts or newsletters. This will ensure that you make steady progress, avoid getting lost in the details, and achieve high quality consistently throughout your book.
About the Book “Better Books with LaTeX—The Agile Way“
Bundled with this book is a template that will give you a head start in your publishing process. In fact, this very book was produced with the same template. You can check out the template here.
If you are already proficient in LaTeX and project management, you can go straight ahead and use the template! Likewise, if you are looking for detailed explanations of each command, there are more comprehensive books and online resources available. This book is for beginners.
Part 1: Connect with Readers from Day One—The Agile Way
- Great Expectations
- Incorporate Books into Your Professional Career
- Starting a New Book
- What to Keep and What to Remove
- Selecting Personas
- How to Organize Your Ideas
- How to Organize Your Ideas (Fiction Books)
- The Rules of Your Book
- How to Optimize the Work Process
- How to Get Early Feedback from Readers
Part 2: Streamline your writing process with LaTeX and Publish on Amazon, Google, and Leanpub
- Comparison of Word and LaTeX
- Generate Your First E-book
- Filling the Template
- LaTeX Basics
- Bibliography and Citations
- Index Creation
- Template Management
- Polishing for Print
- Polishing for E-book Release
- Publishing on Amazon KDP
- How to Create Cover Graphics
- Publishing on Google Play
- Publishing on Leanpub
- Writing a Series
- TeX4ht Configuration
Is the Book for You?
Are you a first-time author with a complete manuscript that you are ready to publish? It’s not enough to just “have a friend look it over”—unless your friend has already published a book of his or her own. You need advice for final polishing, the front and back covers, and marketing. You may even want to work with an editor, but don’t know where to begin.
Or do you write novels in Word but now want to write a professional non-fiction book? Are you looking for a better way to choose the subject of your next book? Do you want to improve the way you work with your editor?
Perhaps you are a professional editor seeking to expand your services from merely editing Word files to helping to release books online. Are you also looking for better project management techniques to guide your clients along the way? Are you spending a lot of time indexing or managing bibliographical references?
You may already be a LaTeX expert who wants to publish your work as an ebook. Are you planning a series and need to reuse text blocks? Are you looking for ways to share your work and collaborate with others? Are you looking for support to help you with diagrams and graphics?
Or are you already a professional self-publisher who is looking for ideas to improve your existing documents and processes, especially by connecting to your readers before a book launch?
Do you plan to establish yourself as an expert in your profession by complementing your portfolio with a professional book?
Besides providing you with a ready-to-use template to generate your first book, Better Books with LaTeX and Agile can teach you:
- The basics of LaTeX to get you started to make small adjustments to the template.
- Advantages of using LaTeX instead of Word.
- How working with an editor can save you time and money.
- Special requirements for final polishing (images, blank spaces, page breaks, etc.) to make a professional-looking book/ebook.
- The legalities of writing a book (ISBN, publisher page, copyright, etc.) and what is required in the book.
- Which images you are allowed to use in a book.
- Methods to organize your ideas and not get lost in details so that you can write a comprehensive but to-the-point book.
- What working with a professional editor or writing coach is like.
And how to:
- Convert a LaTeX document into a Kindle ebook to sell it on Amazon.
- Structure your book (foreword, preface, publisher information, TOC, glossary, …) within a LaTeX project.
- Better manage bibliographical references to save time and reduce mistakes.
- Better manage indexes to save time during index creation and after page changes.
- Reuse glossary items and other text blocks to save time when writing a series.
- Create a book cover, add LaTeX graphics, and how a designer can help you create an appealing and selling book.
- Properly cite to respect the work of others.
- Do market research for books and incorporate your findings into the writing process to sell more books.
- Determine your book’s potential sales to better plan your expenses (and manage your own expectations).
- Incorporate your book into your professional career and benefit from it beyond book sales.
- Create a network of readers, stay in contact with them, and increase future sales.
- Collaborate easily with other authors and get early feedback.
- Get early feedback for your book from your potential readers.
- Work more efficiently with your editor to speed up the writing and editing processes.
LODE Publishing is dedicated to helping you publish your book. Contact us if you need support with cover creation, file conversion, LaTeX or Word, editing, graphics, or marketing. On this website, we have summarized our experiences in a series of articles. They are also available in book format. You can connect with us on Twitter, Facebook, Amazon, Leanpub, or locally at our regular meetup in Düsseldorf, Germany. You can also connect by joining our newsletter.
Want to Streamline Your Writing Process with LaTeX?
If you are looking for more comprehensive help with editing or writing, we can accompany you throughout the project. The ideal time to start with planning is at the beginning. What sounds obvious is actually something few authors do, especially when they are just starting. In most cases, people contact us with “finished” books, only then noticing that they are still unclear about the target audience, that the quality of their writing varies between the chapters, and that restructuring the back at the end of the process is costly.
Check out our Pricing page for two examples of how we could work together on your book project.
About the Author
Clemens Lode studied computer science at the Karlsruhe Institute of Technology and has then published several papers and books in LaTeX. Besides writing, he works as an agile coach and product owner in the IT industry.
But what would lead a computer scientist to write about publishing books with LaTeX?
Clemens Lode has a passion for clean design. He can help you to streamline your writing process with LaTeX. The same methods and principles applied to software projects can be applied to publishing and typesetting. In his book, he explains the provided book template—file by file—so that you can adapt it to your needs and concentrate on actually writing and marketing the book. To accomplish this mission, Clemens is working together with several specialists in editing and graphic design.
Still not convinced? Check out his book, it uses the same methods, templates, and editing style that he can provide for your book!