There's never been a better time to self-publish. But with an array of tools and templates available, it can be challenging to identify the right resources. That's where Overleaf comes in, with its diverse eBook templates that simplify the process of converting LaTeX documents into EPUB format. In this post, we'll explore the top 5 Overleaf eBook templates available in 2023, their key features, and their pros and cons.
How to Convert LaTeX to EPUB?
Converting LaTeX to EPUB involves a series of steps that are effectively automated by using Overleaf templates. These templates leverage various LaTeX-to-EPUB converters to provide a streamlined, user-friendly process. Simply select the template that best fits your needs, input your LaTeX document, and with a few clicks, you'll have your EPUB book ready.
Top Overleaf Book Templates in 2023
This versatile template not only lets you convert LaTeX to EPUB but also creates print-ready PDF files and HTML files. With its functionality of creating softcover, hardcover, and e-books, this comprehensive tool is a top contender in 2023. Its accompanied guidebook, "Even Better Books with LaTeX, the Agile Way in 2023", provides detailed insight into managing your entire book project.
While this template shares a similar approach to the self-publishing LaTeX template, it is primarily designed to test the functionality of the 'tex4ebook' converter. It does a good job generating EPUBs, but it lacks a fully-developed book template structure.
Despite being around for almost a decade, this template has proven its worth. It uses the memoir document class to achieve eBook-like formatting. However, a major drawback is that it doesn't support direct export to EPUB from Overleaf. Instead, users have to manually convert LaTeX source to HTML and then to EPUB.
This template offers a basic framework for creating EPUBs, relying on Calibre's ebook converter. However, the process is not as seamless as the above templates since you need to call the converter file separately. The template is also not specifically designed for book publishing.
This template is a unique offering as it aims to create PDFs optimized for small screen e-readers instead of EPUBs. This alternative approach can be an appealing choice for those looking to enhance readability on smaller devices.
Choosing the right template can significantly impact your self-publishing journey. Our pick for 2023 is the Self-Publishing LaTeX Template, but each template has its strengths and is catered towards different needs. Explore these options and select the one that fits your project the best.
Regardless of your choice, remember that writing a book is an achievement in itself. Whether you're looking to share your knowledge or tell a captivating story, the right tools can help streamline the technical aspects, so you can focus on what truly matters: your content.
- Self-Publishing LaTeX Template: A versatile tool that supports conversion to EPUB, PDF, and HTML files. This template can handle softcover, hardcover, and e-books. An accompanying guidebook offers comprehensive support.
- Testing tex4ebook to generate basic ePubs by LianTze Lim: This template is useful for basic EPUB generation, but lacks a fully-developed book template structure.
- LaTeX ePub / eBook Template by writeLaTeX: A durable template that creates eBook-like formatting, but lacks direct export to EPUB, requiring additional steps for conversion.
- ebookbook by Dominic Widdows: This template provides a basic framework for creating EPUBs and utilizes Calibre's ebook converter, but isn't specifically designed for book publishing.
- Ebook-Reader Template (6-inch display diagonal) by Krzysztof Smirnow: An alternative offering designed to create PDFs optimized for small screen e-readers instead of EPUBs.