We discuss parts of the text together in a chat. This way, you get direct feedback and learn to improve your writing as we proceed.
We can teach you how to turn disconnected ideas into a story.
Based on your outline, let us discuss the general tone, style, and plot of your book.
We will reorder your chapters to better reflect your's book's story.
To ensure the logical flow within a chapter, we might have to reorder the sequence of sections and paragraphs.
Reordering the sentences within a paragraph helps to ensure a clear reading flow for the reader. Each paragraph is like a part of music, it needs to fit with the rest.
Developmental editing is used for manuscripts that are complete or nearly complete. The purpose of developmental editing is to take your book to the next level. If you are still looking for help to organize your ideas or have many loose ends that need to be connected, we can help you with planning.
If you know what you want to say but haven't quite hit the right notes, or if your beta readers point out a lack of consistency or clarity in your manuscript, developmental editing can help immeasurably. We'll guide you through the process of assessing the order of sections or chapters (even sentences and paragraphs), making sure that nothing feels superfluous and, at the same time, that there are no gaps in logic. We'll point out general issues of consistency in terms of pacing and voice.
Developmental editing requires collaborative, iterative work. Iteration can result in tasks for you, the author, to clarify the existing text or add new text. After each complete iteration, we discuss whether to the manuscript is mature enough to move closer to publishing or do another round of developmental editing.
As a process, the following approach has been successful:
Step 1: Request
- Send us a message or e-mail with your request for developmental editing.
- Specify the number of pages and format of your project.
- Ideally, attach or link to a sample of your manuscript.
- Let us know in what format you have the original text (e.g., Word, TXT, Google Docs, etc.).
- Add any detailed information about the request.
Step 2: Interview
- We will contact you with a date for an initial meeting (text chat) and estimate how much work we estimate the edit will entail.
- In preparation, please provide us with the entire original text as an attachment or link. We will let you know in what format we need the text.
- In the chat, we will clarify our process and answer any questions you may have.
- We will send you a summary of what the work will entail and how long we estimate we need for delivery.
Step 3: Editing
- We track changes to your manuscript during developmental editing, which you can accept or reject (please note that this might require conversion into a different document format).
- Once the iteration is done, we deliver the edited text as specified.
- What has worked with past clients was to go through the edited text together and discuss issues we have found.
- You may have open tasks (rewriting, research, adding additional text, removing text, etc.).
Step 4: Iterations
- If you are happy with the result, we can provide additional copy-editing services, consistency checking services, and proofreading services.
- We recommend, though, that we do another round of editing, focusing on the changes you have made to the text.
- Depending on the number of changes, each iteration will probably be quicker than the previous one.
Step 5: Delivery
- We will deliver the final text as specified.
- We offer an online meeting (at no charge) to answer any questions.
The hourly rate is 70 EUR/h. Depending on the text, we can edit around 3-5 pages per hour. Please note that additional hours are required when working together on the text or when an additional conversion of the text into a different document format is required.